Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A QUIET DAY

Lots of pictures to share today.
Today I have a day to myself. Kaitlyn has been here for the past few days and will return again tonight after going to the airport to see her Mum off on a business trip to the America. Whilst here she wanted to do some sewing on her scrappy quilt that she started about 18 months ago. Only one block to go and then ready to put them all together.
Kaitlyn couldn't decide what colour to use so brown it was. She quite enjoys sewing but like all 11 year old an hour or so at a time was enough.



However the next day all the blocks were completed and now just the sashings to do. She has done a great job and for me not too much unpicking. She is very proud of her quilt and says she wants to get it finished before her Mum returns home.

In between the cutting and ironing for Kaitlyn I was fiddling with an outfit I am hoping to wear to my daughters wedding (Kaitlyn's Mum) in April.

This little dress was the "Mother of the Bride " dress my Mum wore at my wedding 42 years ago. I have a wonderful friend Margaret who just loves a challenge and is making this into something special for me. The lace is beautiful and I have been cutting lace pieces to make an edging along the hem edge. I will show more pictures as it progresses.




I have found this old treasure. While over visiting my parents on the weekend and looking for empty jars I found this wonderful cake cooker on the very top shelf in the laundry. I had never seen this before and as a child I don't remember it being in my home so maybe it was there all the time but was never used. Has anyone ever seen one of these before. I think it to be quite old
especially when it reads you can cook a sponge for a penny. There is no thermostat only the little glass top into which you look to see if the contents are cooking. No on or of switch.

The name on the little recipe book says "St. George" electric cooker and is designed to cook cakes, scones and biscuits.


Yesterday Kaitlyn and I decided to try it out and made one of the recipes in the book. A Chocolate coconut cake. It was very strange cooking a cake this way to see how it was cooking we had to use a torch to look into the glass panel. It took longer to cook that it said but the cake cooked well and is quite moist.


Kaitlyn enjoyed icing the cake.

I also made some tomato chutney from our home grown tomatoes.



I forgot to show these photos in my last post. I usually try to make a little Christmas decoration each year for the grand children and these are what I made.

The blue snowman was for Zoe.

The red one for Kaitlyn.

And the penguins for Ryan.


Thanks for looking in. (((HUGS))) Roz.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I think your Granddaughter is doing a great job on her quilt. Good going. The lace is gorgeous. The "cake cooker" is very interesting. Sounds like your are having a lot of fun.

Jan Maree said...

WOW! Bless her cotton socks Kaitlin is doing a wonderful job. She will be so proud of that quilt when it is done! the cake cooker is a first - never seen one of those before - what fun to try it out. And I love the snowmen and penguins - too cute!

Carla said...

Those blocks are great - the fabrics look stunning. Kaitlin is following your footsteps which is really adorable. :)

-----------------
rental of chair covers